We are looking for outstanding candidates to join our team for 2-3 month Software Development Engineering internships. Internships are flexible in length to fit in with your university’s placement scheme.
Our interns join one of our small agile teams at our development centre, launching and growing new initiatives for Amazon's global business. Your team will be involved in every aspect of the process – from idea generation, business analysis and technical design through to development and deployment across a variety of technologies – giving you a real sense of ownership. Together we build systems that meet high standards of performance and reliability and operate at massive scale.
Job Responsibilities include:
- As an intern you will go through induction training before joining your team.
- You will drive your own learning and development with guidance and coaching from your manager, buddy and colleagues around you.
- You will be part of a team of Amazon software engineers and you will help them create complex tools in several different programming languages that will help improve the quality of Amazon's catalogue.
- You'll create professional quality software by applying software engineering best practices, while being exposed to cutting edge technologies.
- Currently on a Bachelors/ Masters degree relevant to Computer Engineering/ Computer Science/ Software Engineering etc.
- Knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals such as object-oriented design, algorithm design, data structures, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Knowledge in Ruby, Perl, Java or C/C++.
- Development Experience in Java, C, C++, Perl, Linux
- Interest in developing web services, or other large scale distributed systems
Application and Assessment Process
Eligible candidates will be invited to attend an online assessment post which successful candidates will be invited to an in-house assessment centre. This selection process is subject to change but you will be notified if any changes are made.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.