Equal Education’s Community Leadership (CL) Internship Programme is for young people who are passionate about being leaders within and outside of their communities. Through the program, aspiring young activists develop leadership, facilitation, community organising and communication skills. During the internship, CLs will be involved in running Youth Groups; youth group is our main platform for engaging and developing Equalisers.
The 2020 CL Internship Programme entails the following:
- It is a one year, full-time, paid internship based in the Youth Department.
- Meeting with school and community members to build relationships and involve them in our work.
- Each CL will be an integral part of youth groups, which includes working with a team of facilitators and ensuring that logistics around youth groups are taken care of.
- Political education, leadership development, and other training workshops.
- Representing EE on public and private platforms.
- Contribute to shaping an environment that is equal and safe for Equalisers to participate in.
- Contribute to the creation of a positive environment for both members and staff at EE.
- Provide support and training to facilitators.
- Show a commitment to movement building and building communities.
- Must have an interest in working with young people.
- Office hours are 09:00 – 17:00. However, CLs work flexible hours (late evenings and weekends).
Who should apply?
- Must be between ages of 18 – 25.
- Post school youth who have relevant experience in facilitating or working with school pupils.
- Are able to commit 100% of your time to the organisation. Successful applicants must be able to start the programme full-time on 1 February 2020.
Skills and Competencies
- Must have matriculated
- Basic computer literacy
- Sound organising skills
- Previous facilitation and public speaking experience would be advantageous
- Previous experience at a youth development organisation would be advantageous
Characteristics we are looking for include:
- Ethical Leadership
- Ability to work hard and focus
- Communication skills
- Interest in human rights issues
- Problem solving techniques.
How to Apply
Download Application form
If you would like to volunteer/intern, send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a compelling motivation! If there is a potential opportunity Equal Education will contact you.