Sappi Ngodwana Mill requires a Graduate in Training to complete a two-year comprehensive training programme that contributes the knowledge and practical requirements to become a proficient maintenance or project engineer in a mill
This role reports into the Maintenance Manager – Mechanical
The main responsibilities of this job are:
- Practical work as per Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) standards:
- Advise on and design machinery and tools for manufacturing and other industrial use.
- Advise on and design steam, internal combustion and other non-electric motors and engines used for driving industrial machinery.
- Advise on and design mechanical plant and equipment for the release, control and utilisation of energy, heating, ventilation and refrigeration systems, pumps, pipe work, valves and other associated mechanical equipment.
- Advise on and design non-electrical parts of apparatus and precision instruments.
- Establish control standards and procedures to ensure efficient functioning and safety of machines, machinery, tools, motors, engines, industrial plant, equipment and systems.
- Ensure that equipment operation and maintenance comply with design specifications and safety standards.
- Investigate and find solutions for operational problem related to machinery, tools and plant equipment.
- Contribute to the design of new equipment specifications or use for example fluid systems, complex machines, energy systems involving heat transfer, pressure systems or HVAC systems.
- Rotate through the mill and provide operational support to engineers in each section:
- Participate in plant forums, multi-disciplinary team meetings and engineering meetings to learn how the plant operates and to contribute professional advice.
- Investigate failure or underperformance of equipment in the plant and recommend solutions to avoid recurrence.
- Assess existing plant design against design specifications, health and safety requirements, ease of fabrication and assembly standards, constructability, maintainability, environmental requirements, ergonomic considerations, life cycle costs and alternative solutions.
- Assist during plant shuts and machine start-ups.
- Assist engineers with project management activities including project scoping, prefeasibility, business case development (capital expense, operating cost and total cost of ownership), resourcing, scheduling, and implementation.
The ideal candidate should have:
- BSc, B Tech. Eng. or B Eng. (Mechanical Engineering)
- Computer literate
- No prior work experience required
How to apply
Click here to apply for Sappi (Ngodwana Mill): Mechanical Engineering Internships 2021