Under the guidance of the Resident Representative and direct supervision of the Communications Analyst, the intern will support UNDP’s communications strategy to increase UNDP South Africa’s visibility, strengthen media and stakeholder relations, and contribute towards UNDP’s knowledge management system.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Creation of communications products to communicate the good work of UNDP South Africa to identified stakeholders, across written content (press releases, blog posts, social media, and op-ed pieces) and/or graphic and audio/visual content (infographics, video, radio/podcasts).
- Produce a short, written report on the media industry in South Africa with recommendations for UNDP
- Draft briefing packages and undertake a wide range of other writing assignments including blogs, talking points and key messages related to UNDP communication and advocacy campaigns and high-profile events organized by UNDP.
- Create a regional media list with recommended entry-points for UNDP towards building a profile in the SADC region.
- Development context of the international community’s communications efforts
- Current strategies and products used to communicate development results
- Strategic communications and knowledge management skills
- Global perspective – successful candidate will work with peers from Havard University and other UNDP Country Offices
- In process of, or has completed, at least a first Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or equivalent.
- Excellent written and spoken English skills;
- Very strong background in communications content production, either written content (press releases, blog posts, social media, and op-ed pieces) or visual content (infographics, video, radio/podcasts), or both
- Strong understanding of communications theory and practice
- Proficiency in the use of digital and social media platforms;
- Proficiency in use of design packages such as adobe
- Excellent computer literacy in standard software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent computer literacy in graphic design, video, and/or audio production software preferred
- Good research and analytical skills;
- Good organisational skills;
- Good inter-personal skills.
How to Apply
Apply Online for the UNDP: Communications Internships 2020 / 2021
- UNDP interns receive payment of a monthly stipend based on the rate established by the duty station
- UNDP interns accrue leave at a rate of 1.5 days per month;
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship;
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity;
- Interns are expected to work full time but flexibility is allowed for education programmes;
- Applicants should indicate which months they are available part- and/or full time and when they complete their studies (if still enrolled);
- Interns need to make own arrangements for travel, VISA, accommodation, etc.