Please follow and like us:
The Department of Education invites applications from student who want to study Bachelor of Education to apply for Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme 2023 academic year.
Each year, the Funza Lushaka Bursary is awarded for students towards the following Teaching qualifications:
Undergraduate studies: a 4-year Bachelor of Education degree (BEd), which specialises in any of the following:
- Foundation Phase (Grade R to Grade 3) (preferably majoring in South African Indigenous Languages, Neurodevelopment Needs, Braille, SASL)
- Intermediate Phase (Grade 4 to Grade 6) (preferably majoring in 2 of these subjects: Languages, Mathematics, and Natural Science & Technology)
- Senior and Further Education and Training Teaching (Grade 7 to Grade 12) (preferably majoring in 2 of these subjects: Accounting, Agricultural Sciences, Agricultural Technology, Civil Technology, Computer Applications Technology, Electrical Technology, Engineering Graphics and Design, Geography, Information Technology, Life Sciences, Mathematics, Mechanical Technology, Physical Sciences, Languages, Maritime studies, Coding and Robitics, Technical Mathematics and Technical Science)
Graduate studies: a 1-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)for:
- Senior and Further Education and Training Teaching (Grade 7 to Grade 12)
The prestigious Funza Lushaka bursary is aimed at students who are studying to become teachers and is awarded annually, based of academic ability.
The bursary will provide cover for the following expenses: tuition fees, books, study materials, accommodation, meals, teaching practice and an allowance for general living expenses, if available and capped at a certain amount.
Bursaries are awarded for 1 academic year at a time and students are required to reapply for funding each year. Renewal of the bursary is NOT guaranteed, but is dependent on students academic performance.
After graduation, bursary recipients will be required to teach at a public school (selected by the Provincial Education Department (PED)) – the service contract duration will be equal to the duration of bursary funding received.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
All applicants must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a South African citizen
- You must have a valid South African ID number
- You must be 30 years old or younger, if applying for the first time
- You must have been accepted to study towards a BEd degree or PGCE programme, specialising in at least 2 of the priority subject areas (extended programmes are not covered)
- You must have been accepted to study at a public university in South Africa
- You must have a strong academic record
- You must be willing to teach at any school, as selected by the Provincial Education Department (PED)
- You must NOT be a Higher Education Institution employees (or a spouse, dependent or child of a Higher Education Institution employee)
- You must be committed and passionate about a career in teaching, including having an interest in working with youth; enthusiasm for teaching; and be willing and ready to face challenges with integrity
- You must NOT have any other teaching qualifications
- You must NOT have a criminal record
- You must NOT have any charges of misconduct
- You must NOT have been dismissed from work
First time university entrants must also meet the following criteria:
- You must have passed Matric with an exemption, endorsement or bachelor degree admission
- You must have achieved a minimum of level 4 in Matric for 2 subjects you intend on specialising to teach
- Students who will specialise in Foundation Phase: you must have achieved a minimum level 2 pass for Mathematics OR a minimum level 4 pass for Mathematical Literacy AND a minimum of level 4 pass for your Home Language in Matric
- Students who will specialise in Intermediate Phase: you must have achieved a minimum level 4 pass for Mathematics AND a minimum of level 4 pass for your Home Language AND/OR a minimum level 4 pass for Science AND a minimum of level 4 pass for your Home Language in Matric
- Students who will specialise in teaching Technology subjects (including CAT, IT, and other Technical stream subjects), who did not pass these subjects in Matric: you must have achieved a minimum level 4 pass for Mathematics or Technical Mathematics in Matric
Note: if the tertiary institution’s entry requirements are higher than the bursary requirement, or vice versa, the higher requirement will apply.
New students currently at university must also meet the following criteria:
- You must have passed all subjects in the previous year of tertiary study
- You must have achieved a minimum overall average of 55% for all subjects studied in the previous year of tertiary study
- You must have achieved a minimum overall average of 66.6% for subjects related to the teaching area of specialisation in the previous year of tertiary study
New students enrolling for PGCE must also meet the following criteria:
- You must have completed a qualification that allows admission into the PGCE programme
- You must be studying towards the PGCE for Senior Phase and Further Education and Training Teaching (SPFET) (Grade 7 to Grade 12)
- You must have 2 priority subjects, with 1 module successfully completed at third year level, and 1 module successfully completed at second year level
- You must have sufficient modules in the priority subjects in order to qualify to teach it as a subject at school
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE FUNZA LUSHAKA BURSARY
Applications must be submitted online at: Funza Lushaka Bursary Application 2023
Applicants must follow these steps to submit their bursary application:
1) Visit the e-Government Portal website
3) Login using your selected username and password
4) Select the “Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme” on the e-Services Menu
5) Insert the OTP you received
6) Read and accept the Terms and Conditions
7) Click on the “2023 application” button on the dashboard
8) Fill in the required information
9) Read and accept the declaration to confirm your information
Note: only online applications will be accepted – NO hard copy applications will be accepted.
APPLICATION NOTES FOR THE FUNZA LUSHAKA BURSARY
- Students must read the Funza Lushaka Bursary Information before applying.
- Students must have a valid student number when applying (this will be received after you have been accepted or provisionally accepted at university).
- Ensure that your information submitted is correct – you will be able to access your online application to make any changes before final submission.
- Ensure that your priority subject areas on your application for are the ones you will specialise in.
- Academic year of study means the level you are studying (B Ed 1 is 1st year, B Ed 2 is 2nd year etc).
- You are not allowed to change institutions after applying for the bursary.
- Applying for the bursary does NOT automatically guarantee you will receive it.
- Supporting documents must be submitted to your university’s Funza Lushaka office.
Please follow and like us: